Interlaken is Europe’s adventure capital and just a short drive from the world's scariest Canyon Swing. The rope swing platform is positioned between the walls of the Gletscherschlucht glacier gorge, which has been carved out over centuries. An impressive natural formation once covered by glacier ice is now an epic place to scare yourself silly!
The jump platform sits on the edge of the canyon walls, 90m/300ft above the glacier melt rushing beneath you.
What you can expect
You don’t need to bring anything special for the experience, everything is provided.
1. You’ll be picked up and driven from Interlaken to the Gletscherschlucht Glacier Canyon near Grindelwald
2. When you arrive, there’s a safety briefing and you’re fitted with an amazing full body padded harness
3. A very short (5mins) bus ride later, and you’re at the top of the gorge. There’s a short walk down to the platform (you’re allowed to start freaking out now)
4. After some more safety talk, and preparation for how it’s all going to go down, you gather under a little cover next to the platform.
5. You’re either the bravest one (aka a nutcase) and volunteer to go first or you move to the railing to watch, the anticipation is intense.
6. When it’s your turn, you are securely attached to the ropes before crossing the safety barrier. Now you’re on the platform and being slowly guided towards the edge.
7. It’s final checks, smile for the camera, soak up the confusion of emotions, the incredible natural beauty of the gorge and now it’s up to you… the guide will count you in and all you need to do is “just step off”
8. You will fall for about 4 seconds or 50m / 165ft which feels like an eternity before the rope catches you and swings you at 120kmh / 75mph between the canyon walls.
9. Once the swinging slows down, there’s another guide who will pull you in, release you from the ropes and you can attempt to walk (if your legs work).
10. Check off that bucket list.